Hiring a roofing contractor is not something that anyone does on a regular basis. If anything, homeowners may only need to do so once or twice in their lifetime. At the same time they may also have heard a story or two which may make them think twice before hiring a contractor.
However, hiring a commercial roofer who is also a hailstorm damage repair expert, comes with its own set of perks. For instance, these professionals will accurately assess damage, negotiate with insurance providers as well as provide guaranteed workmanship services. So when looking for a professional roofer in Fort Worth keep the following tips in mind:
- DO: Get multiple estimates before making a decision. However, getting an estimate is only the first step. You still need to establish that sense of trust that can only be achieved by asking a few questions as well. Basics like how long the contractor has been in business, any proof of their insurance and the contractor’s warranty policy are all good starting points.
- DO: Hire a local roofer who is invested in the community and is available to answer for any roofing concerns should an issue arise later. Local contractors are also familiar with the type of roofing problems the local demographics generally face and are equipped with the right tools and manpower to correct the issues on your roof after a hailstorm.
- DO: Get some homework done before selecting a roofing contractor. Check for any complaints filed against your prospective contractors as well as ratings from the BBB. Roofers that offer a written contract and estimates are more reliable to deal with. Those who offer emergency services, even after business hours are a better option to go with.
- DO: Select a roofer who is a member of a trade association as they have to meet certain requirements to join the association. Plus, registered and insured companies are always a better option as you need not bear the expense of any injuries incurred while the work is in progress.
- DO: Get a reliable hailstorm damage repair expert when real damage has been assessed on the property and you are liable to file a claim. In these cases, damage may be extensive and needed to be handled professionally.
Yet, at the same time roofers are ecstatic about hail damage as they know there is an opportunity to convince homeowners into a full roof replacement.
- DON’T: Opt for traveling roofers. Also known as storm chasers, these roofers will descend on the affected region and present themselves as local roofers. Remember that it is easy to panic when damage occurs but instead of hiring the first contractor you speak with, practice some diligence and decide on a professional who is reputable and can be relied upon in the future as well.
- DON’T: Hire a roofing contractor simply because your neighbors are doing so. Each roof is different so get your home’s damage assessed first. Roof repair depends on the severity of the damage, the roof’s construction as well as the quality of roofing materials so denominations will vary from one house to the next.
- DON’T: Hire someone based on the sign that has been put up in neighborhood yards. A sign does not guarantee reliable service although it may mean that the company has a good sales pitch. Always check with neighbors who may have used that roofer’s services and are happy with the experience.
- DON’T: Select anyone who does not have a health and safety program in place for their roofers. This can make you liable for injury should an accident happen during work hours. You may also have to pay for medical or other costs with the possibility of lawsuits.
- DON’T: Agree to pay upfront for services in full. Ideally, the deposit should not be any more than one third of the total contract price and should be paid by check or credit card. A strong recommendation is to make the check out to the company and not the individual and never pay cash to a contractor or sales person.