5 Reasons Metal Roofing Is The Best Choice For Self-Storage Facilities
Self-storage facilities are large buildings or groups of buildings that provide ample space for customers to store whatever they can fit into their units. For storage facility owners, these buildings are typically low-maintenance investments that they hope will last for many years, with very little required in the way of repairs. However, a time comes when the roof of a self-storage facility needs replacing, and with such a large investment it’s important to ensure the right roofing choices are made.
One of the best choices a storage facility owner or facility manager can make is to install a metal roofing system in place of what they currently have. There are many benefits to installing a metal roof versus any other type of commercial roofing solution. Here are 5 reasons why a metal roofing system is the best choice for a self-storage facility.
- Steel Is Recyclable: With the cost of raw materials continuously increasing, it’s important to find solutions to reuse them and when it comes to recycling building materials steel is at the top of the list. Steel is the most recycled material on the planet and with the ability to install recycled steel on your storage facility roof you can divert high amounts of water pollution, air pollution, and mining waste that’s used in the creation of new steel products. Additionally, in 30 years when your roof needs replacing again the steel that’s removed can be recycled yet again.
- Fighting The “Heat Island” Effect: The heat island effect is when human activity in urban areas has a direct impact on the average temperature in those areas compared to surrounding suburban and rural areas. The impact of these increasing temperature changes is vast and impacts everything from wildlife to weather patterns.
- Durability: If your storage facility roof is currently composed of clay tiles, aluminum, tar, or another material then you likely already understand the costs associated with premature maintenance and roof replacement. Steel roofing lasts longer than any other roofing material which, when installed, is not only a positive thing for the environment, but also for your facility’s bottom line.
- Steel Roofing & LEED Standards: LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification is the pinnacle of environmental design in the construction industry. There are many factors for a building or facility to achieve LEED certification. Using recycled materials and increasing energy efficiency, which are results of installing a steel roof, are two requirements of LEED certification. While you may not be prepared for a full LEED certification installing a steel roof is an excellent step towards it.
- Steel Roofing Saves You Money: While it may look like a silver lining, the cost of installing a steel roof is offset by the energy saving that’s achieved by reducing fluctuations in temperature in your storage facility. In turn this reduces your energy bills and the wear and tear on your HVAC system, which means less maintenance and repairs in the long run.
Overall, there are a number of environmental and financial reasons why installing a steel roof on your self-storage facility is a great idea. For more information about how a steel roofing system can save you money contact WaterTight Roofing today: 888.809.9976.
Metal Roofing Design Guide
Get a copy of our metal roofing design guide by entering your information below.
[contact-form-7 id=”5630″ title=”Metal Roof Design Guide”]